A unique, historic rental facility on the Banks of the Rideau!
Located just 35 minutes from Ottawa and Brockville and 5 minutes drive from Merrickville, the Burritt’s Rapids Community Hall is the perfect location for business and private functions. The Hall can accommodate wedding receptions, anniversaries, parties, banquets, business meetings, corporate training, educational classes, social clubs, athletic groups, exhibits, art shows and so much more.
The Burritts Rapids Community Hall is available for rent, 365 days a year.
For more information or to check on availability, please visit the other menu items under "Hall for Rent", or contact our Rental Agent via e-mail at BRHallRental@gmail.com.
History of the Hall
The Hall was built in 1855 by John French and operated as a general store. In 1892, the building was sold and it changed hands several more times during the early 1900's. The facility became known as the "Albert C. White Memorial Hall" in 1927, but in October 1935, Casey Swedlove sold the Hall and its property to the community. At that time, the name was formally changed to The Burritt's Rapids Community Hall, and has been run as a non-profit facility ever since.
In 1984, the Hall was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act as being of architectural and historical value: "… the building is an outstanding example of an early nineteenth century vernacular temple-fronted commercial structure, of the Classical Revival Style. It is clad in narrow feather-edge clapboard and is highlighted by recessed paneled front doors, large commercial style front windows, with paneled surrounds, engage pilasters, with classical entablature, returned eaves and small 12 over 8 upper sashes..."
In 1986, an extension was added to the south side of the building. Monies for the project were donated by several local citizens and businesses, all of which are memorialized on a plaque inside the Hall. Many of the building materials were donated by the production company which filmed "Boy in Blue", in Burritt's Rapids in 1984. The roof was installed by a volunteer group who proclaimed themselves to be "The Geriatric Builders".